By Jeffrey Buck
This is who we can thank for the majority of these great photographs. Below is a little more information on them via Yale:
“The Detroit Photographic Company began as a photographic publishing firm in the late 1890s. The founders, Detroit businessman and publisher William A. Livingston, Jr., and photographer and photopublisher Edwin H. Husher, obtained the exclusive rights to use the Swiss color photolithography “Photochrom” process. This process permitted the mass production of color postcards, prints, and albums for sale to the American market. In 1897 William Henry Jackson became a partner in the firm, adding thousands of negatives to the inventory, some taken as early as the 1870s. In 1905 the company changed its name to the Detroit Publishing Company. It went into receivership in 1924, and liquidated its assets in 1932.”
Take a look at the photograph entitled “Detroit Publishing: 1910“:
Detroit, Michigan, circa 1910. “Detroit Publishing Company, east front.” The mothership for much of the large-format photography seen here. 8×10 inch dry plate glass negative, Detroit Publishing Company.